Korean Grammar: Noun 은/는 Noun 이에요/예요 As Topic Markers

If we want to introduce ourselves to someone, what will we say after saying, "안녕하세요 (Annyeong haseyo)"? If I were you, I want to let them know who I am. Start from my name, nationality, profession, and the city where I came from.

For example, "my name is Mew da Vinci. I am an Indonesian people. I am a blogger." So, how to translate it to the Korean language?


Based on the habits in some Korean dramas and conversation books, I will start from "안녕하세요?". Then, will be continue by saying, "제 이름은 야옹다빈지예요. 저는 인도네시아 사람이에요. 저는 블로거예요."

Related words:

  • 안녕하세요 = Hello
  • 제 이름 = my name
  • 저 = I
  • 사람 = person/people
  • 블로거 = blogger
  • 야옹다빈지 = the Korean name of Mew da Vinci (I guess)

How could we do that? What is the formula? Alright, we can use the Korean grammar below to make the similar sentences to mine:

N은/는 N이에요/예요.

Learning information:

N is the abbreviation of the noun. The particle '은/는' which is following the noun is utilized to signify the theme or topic of a Korean sentence. At the point when the last hangeul of the noun is ended by a consonant, we can use '-은 (eun)', and when the last hangeul of the noun is closed with a vowel, then use '-는 (neun)'. 'N이에요/예요' is added to complete and influence the noun to turn it into a verb in the standard conversation. At the point when the last hangeul of the noun is ended by a consonant, use '-이에요 (i-e-yo)', and when the last hangeul of the noun is closed with a vowel, just '-예요 (ye-yo)'.

[Source: Yonsei University]



How to introduce yourself with Korean grammar

Here is it. The short conversation below will help us to understand more:

😁: 안녕하세요?
(Annyeong haseyo --- Hello)

😎: 네, 안녕하세요?
(Ne, annyeong haseyo --- Yups, hi too)

😁: 저는 스티브예요.
(Jo neun Setibe yeyo --- I am Steve)

😎: 저는 야옹이에요.
(Jo neun Yaongi e yo --- I am Mew)


I also attach some sentences that presumably will be helpful for us. Please pay attention to the bold letters. I mention you once again, the Korean grammar that we learned today:

N은/는 N이에요/예요.

The examples:

저는 회사원이에요.
I am an office worker.

저는 대학생이에요.
I am a student.

저는 블로거예요.
I am a blogger.

스티브 씨는 미국 사람이에요.
Steve is an American.

야옹 씨는 인도네시아 사람이에요.
Mew is an Indonesian.

이것은 잡지예요.
It is a magazine.


Related words:

네 = yes
회사원 = an office worker
씨 = Mr.
미국 사람 = an American
이것 = this
잡지 = a magazine

Finally, our session is done for today. If you have a question or suggestion, kindly type it on the comment section below. Thank you very much!

Comments